musings,

Solo Travel

09:15 UrbanModish 2 Comments



My Solo Travel was nothing short of a soap series – it had all elements of drama, emotions, fear, relations, self-discovery, tears, laughter and loads of fun. As Rumi said, travel brings power and love back into your life. It does in ways that you wouldn’t be able to comprehend, but you’d be glad that you chose to do it.

For me this happened at the right time. I was going through a lot of self-healing, redefining my goals and trying to understand what I wanted from life. A part of me was always lost. Lost in emotions that were tightly wrapped around my inner eyes, which made me oblivious to a lot of things around me (Sorry for metaphors, I function better that way).

Being alone was a very scary prospect for me, before my travel. Today, I feel being single and responsible for my actions and decisions is a luxury that I used to always crave and desire.  I’m not propagating for singlehood at all. I know I will find my mine, but until then I need to find me and enjoy being me.
Going on a solo trip was the scariest decision of my life. I always admired people travelling solo and wondered how they did it. It must take a lot of courage to just travel by yourself. It must also mean that you enjoy your company so much, that you can actually travel alone.

I was staring at my screen which displayed my ticket to Tbilisi and all I had to do was to click and make the booking. I WAS SCARED. The unknown scared me so much that I was almost about to not go. I called my bestie, I just wanted her to egg me on to book my ticket (Yes I needed that push). She said exactly what I wanted to hear – BOOK THAT DAMN TICKET.  And so I did it. Step one was taken care of.

I zeroed down on Georgia, as my first travel destination for many reasons

I prepared my Itinerary on a daily basis for every single day. YES, every single day. Doing so made me confident that I knew what I was doing every day and also, it didn’t allow my mind to wander over possibilities of the 'what if’s and how’s'

I booked hostels on Booking.com (not sponsored) as I didn’t have to make any upfront payment and that meant that my schedule was flexible. I love having an organized trip, but at the same time I wanted my trip to surprise me (yes, I can be difficult to understand, but I’m sure many of you get it). Check my Itinerary here

Research is so important when you are travelling. It’s important to know not everything but something (imp details) about the place you are visiting - Weather, Culture, language, transportation, and food habits.

I narrowed down places I wanted to visit in every region of Georgia and kept narrowing it further down to match a 10 day itinerary. And I had a perfect (or so I thought) travel plan. I was so glad my list changed drastically.

My Trip was all things unexpected and some just like I wanted to. I traveled like a local (loved every bit of that), visited markets to get fresh produce, ate what the locals ate, drank what they drank and it was just a surreal uplifting and enriching experience.

As an individual, who was dependent on a lot of factors – this trip made me reconsider a lot of ME. It helped me like nothing could. This is the therapy that we all do so badly need at times. And what comes out of this is a different person.

Everyone will have a different experience and a different take back, because all our chapters are written differently. If you are contemplating, like I was about that solo trip, believe me, call your bestie get that push and just go.  I believe that the place chooses you and not the other way around.

Georgia wasn’t on my list, it became mine after my endless research and it just kept popping up and I knew I had to go to Georgia.  Let your heart decide and trust me, it will be an experience that you will hold dear.

Oh and I did get lost a lot (but also, I have pathetic navigation skills). But the best part of getting lost was finding myself.

Take that trip. You will thank yourself you made that choice.

Loads of love and hugs.

You Might Also Like

2 comments:

  1. unplanned journeys unravel the beauty within us as well...

    ReplyDelete